Cheesy Grits With Fresh Ground Black Pepper



I have a thing for cheddar cheese and black pepper. I don't know why they're so good together but I just go with it. This morning I made cheesy grits with, of course, fresh ground black pepper. You could fancy this up with different kinds of cheese, herbs etc. It's like a poor man's risotto.




Have you found the disposable pepper mill at Costco yet? Love it.

Trader Joe's recently added stone ground grits to their shelves. My family isn't a fan but they can't help it, they're Westside. That doesn't stop me from enjoying this Southern staple when the urge strikes.

(I use more milk than the package call for)

Cheesy Grits

1C water
1C milk
1T butter
A few twists of the salt grinder
1/2C grits
1C shredded cheddar cheese
Lots of fresh ground black pepper

Bring everything but the grits & cheese to a boil, stir in the grits and bring back to a boil, then simmer on low, stirring, to desired texture (around 10-15 minutes). Stir in cheese and pepper.



How do you like your grits?




2 comments:

  1. I like my grits with cheese and spinach and carrots. Aren't grits a version of polenta?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're both corn but beyond that I'm not sure!

      Delete

Comments are very much appreciated!